This report presents the findings of a Q2 2018 survey by ON World in collaboration with ISA and the LoRa Alliance. It provides an extensive investigation of the latest adoption trends, needs and wants in the highly competitive industrial wireless sensor network (WSN) and Internet of Things markets.
ON World’s survey with 160 industrial IoT professionals found steady growth for the wireless mesh standards and even faster adoption for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) network technologies such as Sigfox, LoRaWAN, NB-IoT and LTE-M.
Compared with the
previous survey in Q4 2016, respondents have significantly higher satisfaction with battery lifetime, network range and system integration. Satisfaction with reliability, cost and data rate had the fastest declines.
Some of the areas addressed in the report include the following:
Wireless Sensor Networks:
- Which markets are adopting WSN?
- What are the fastest growing applications?
- What are the most commonly used WSN protocols?
- What is the impact from the wireless mesh standards?
- Are users satisfied with current WSN systems?
- What are their needs, wants, and future plans?
Low Power Wide Area Networks:
- How many companies are developing LPWA networking solutions?
- Are their applications suited to LPWA networks?
- What will be the likely disruption from LPWA technologies?
- Which LPWA technologies are most likely to have a significant market share in 10 years - LoRaWAN, Sigfox, NB-IoT, LTE-M, Weightless, others?
IoT Cloud Platforms:
- What are the most commonly used IoT cloud platforms?
- What are the IoT benefits?
- Data analytics experience?
- Data analytics barriers?
- Planned IoT cloud platfomrs?
The survey results are presented for all respondents as well as filtering the results by respondents targeting process industries, hybrid/discrete manufacturing, agriculture, logistics, construction and others. It also compares the current survey with a previously completed survey in Q4 2016 when illustrative.
160 industrial IoT end users, systems integrators, vendors, suppliers, platform and service providers
Send us an email with
in the subject.